Monday, March 9, 2015

Alive

I haven't been alive in a while,
and sometimes I forget what it feels like.
To breathe in air,
and to let it out.
Do people laugh without thinking?
Is it common to love without regret?
I won't be alive for a while,
and I worry it will never come.
Do the thoughts flow like water?
Do the words come with ease?
I don't know if I'm living,
and I don't know if I'm dead.
Does time feel like forever?
Does the end seem far?
I haven't been alive in a while,
and sometimes I forget what it feels like.
To breathe in and out without dying.

5 comments:

  1. I think your poem broke my heart. Yes honey, you are alive! you are breathing and you most certainly are a poet! thank you for sharing!
    http://parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com/2015/03/more-than-peanutbutter-and-football.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words are so sad. Please, if this is your reality, reach out to someone who can stand beside you, to help you breathe in air and let it out until you can feel alive again and strong enough to breathe on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A haunting poem, Kristin. I've been reading through your posts, and they seem to carry this deep vein, as though you are trying to explore writing about some fairly heavy topics as either fiction or poetry. If so, it may be helpful to post a disclaimer at the top of the post to indicate that this is not a slice of your life. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a fantastic writer. Your writing sounds like it comes from a much older person than you are. This is such a beautifully written poem.

    ReplyDelete