Saturday, March 14, 2015

Cold Coffee

The cold coffee sat in my mug taking up space.  I sat at the boardroom table stabbing my mind with unnecessary words and numbers.  The girls around me talked of petty lives.  The boys pretended to work while pictures of the girls danced in their brains.  I sat at the boardroom table music lodged into my ears. The teachers ran around the rooms screaming of first world issues.  The boy looked at me like I was the only person in the room but little did he realize that is how I looked at him a year ago.  I sat at the boardroom table watching the teenagers deal with adolescent life.  At the boardroom table with hope in my heart and logic in my head.  The cold coffee was gone.  And I sat at the boardroom table.

2 comments:

  1. I like that this piece is making me think. I've read it four times now and have gotten a different feel for it each time. I appreciate the "circular-ness" (I know I made up that word) of it as well. Starting and ending with the cold coffee. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this line " . . . hope in my heart and logic in my head." Love your use of repetition with the phrase, "I sat."

    ReplyDelete