Friday, March 4, 2016

Pretty Colors

The pretty girls
At the rich white school
Crossed to the other side of the aisle
When my dad walked by them

I never noticed before
How people tainted my skin
With their disapproving looks
That perfect illusion died

People tainted my skin when
I walked into a supermarket
That perfect illusion died
The security guard followed me

I walked into a supermarket
I was only fourteen
The security guard followed me
“Make sure you pay for that”

I was only fourteen
And apparently a wanted criminal
“Make sure you pay for that”
who was he to suspect me?

Apparently a wanted criminal
My world lost all its color
Who were they to suspect me?
I watched the people pass by in black & white

My world lost all its color
People weren’t people anymore
I watched them in black & white
They were walking color schemes

People weren’t people anymore
They were walking rainbows
They were color schemes
Only known by the pigment of their skin

They were walking rainbows
Born with a label on their head
Only known by the pigment of their skin
Their forehead plastered with
I am white
I am black
I am grey
Blue
Pink
Purple
Green

Born with a label on their head
They lost all their humanity
Their forehead plastered with
The names of the colors that defined them

They lost all humanity
The people tainted my skin
With the names of the colors that defined them
I never noticed before

The pretty girls
At the rich white school
Crossed to the other side of the aisle

When I walked by them

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your article and for giving us the chance to read it. It is very helpful and encouraging. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete