Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Is It Beautiful?

They always made it sound like it was nothing.  They almost made it sound beautiful.  Like it meant nothing to say it.  To them it was nothing more than a word.  An effortless string of sounds put together.  How I envied them sometimes.  It could never be just a word to me.  That string of sounds put together never carried so much weight.  I could never just say that word without feeling an all too familiar pile of bricks being dropped on me.  Those sounds put together could take me back to a place that felt like a hotel bed in the city.  That word smelled like your cologne.  Those sounds looked like a white tee shirt.  They always made it sound like it was nothing.  But it could never be nothing when it held a part of you captive.  They almost made it sound beautiful.  Would it be beautiful if it swallowed you alive? Because that's what it did to me.  Now here I sit, at the bottom of the belly of the beast.  Waiting to be released.  But by all means, please say that word again.  It's not like those sounds put together landed me here or anything.

1 comment: