Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Stitched Together

Maybe if I put these words down
You will hear
The desperation in my voice
Maybe you will notice that I'm tired
Perhaps you could understand
I am trying to piece myself back together
And I never expect you to sympathize
This has never happened to you
I've had to stitch myself back together 
It has been taking years
Maybe if I put these words down 
You will hear
The hurt in my voice
When I feel small 
And unimportant 
I've found pieces of me on subway tracks
And between the sheets of my bed
I've found them in places they never should have been
Maybe if I put these words down
You will hear
The anxiety in my voice
The shaky tone I have when I speak
Or the laugh that covers the tears
I've cried in cities I don't know
In rooms that are not my own
Maybe if I put these words down
I will be okay
The desperation, the hurt, and the anxiety
Will fade away
Maybe I will be able to find the pieces of me
Stitch them back together
Maybe I will resemble myself
But you have to hear my voice first
You have to understand my needs
Maybe if I put these words down 
You will hear
And maybe you will listen
But mostly
Maybe if I put these words down
I will find other pieces of me
That have gone missing 
Waiting to be stitched together again
And maybe this is the new me
Pieces missing
Stitched together
Hoping to somewhat resemble a person
Who used to look like me

No comments:

Post a Comment